Monday, March 05, 2007

Drowned

Life seeping out of you rapidly, while you watch helpless to do anything about it. Gulping down water at a rate faster than I could actually think about anything, I simply had to give up. All the thrashing and wild movement of the hands and the legs were of no avail. I had been told that the water was just 7 feet deep, so essentially I could bounce from the floor and surface. But the desperation and the loss of breath scavenged the last remaining thoughts out of my mind.

Finally what seemed like ages, the coach pulled me up. Rather he grabbed my shorts and kinda pushed me towards the pipes at the edges of the swimming pool and I held on for dear life. As I write this, I can only think of the people traveling in Titanic. First hitting the freezing water must have sent them into shock. Whatever senses remained would have been sucked out by drowning. I am thankful that I am still alive to see the light of the day and continue my swimming lessons on another day.

Have been trying to learn to swim since 7 days now. And I am nowhere near it. With no physical flexibility exercises since childhood, difficulties have been compounded by the occasional weight training sessions that I did. My whole body is stiff and am unable to let go, something that everybody tells me is the key to swimming. All advice on swimming ends up with float like a corpse. Only then will you learn. Yeah! the advice is good and all. And am trying. But right now after the ordeal in the morning, I have tons of water inside me, all trying to gush out from my nose, ear, eyes and other countless pores and holes that my body has. But it refuses to pour out of the proper ones like the mouth and the urinary tract. Awk!

Tomorrow is a new day and a new war in the battleground. Wish me luck!