Thursday, March 08, 2007

Happy Woman's Day

My salute to all my female friends and the women in this world. I totally realize your contribution to my existence. And I support Blank Noise Project. Great effort ladies.

Sometimes in my long conversation with my female friends they utter this, "All men are dogs!" Or a variation, "Men are bastards." Asinine as it is, they would look at me (or think of me, if on the phone) and add, "Not you! But you know generally..." And then would follow a long/short diatribe against all "man"kind, depending on how the mood is. At occasions like this I am left devoid of words of defense. I know that they are not including me in their outrage, but I am also helpless to defend myself. All that goes through my mind is the shi**y behavior that lots of my male friends would get down to on seeing some woman walking by. I don't get the fun that they seem to extract out of such actions. To add, these men don't even have the balls to walk up to the female and say hi, or ask her out. But they are ready to ogle, or as the crude behavior goes "accidentally" bump into them.

Why am I incensed by such behavior?? Because it lessens my chances of meeting the fairer sex. There are times, albeit rarely, that I feel like smiling on seeing the sense of purpose and/or determination on the face of some woman. But then I have had to check myself on such occasions, knowing that such behavior would lead her to think, "Dog!" I would rather not. There were times when I have been categorically told by my female friends that I am the Mr. Nice Guy. On one occasion, a newly found friend told me about a female friend of hers, who, in her words, "would give an arm to meet" somebody like me. Yeah!!! I liked the compliment. But I am afraid I will never get to talk to her, lest I be called a lecher.

But then I am a wimp (not WIMP). Why o why do I not stop you from such behavior?? I guess it is the kind of herd mentality that you get into when you meet another of your kind. But I assure you guys, you would not find me giving you company on such occasion, however close a friend of mine you are. Many a times you have asked me, "Are you not interested in girls?? Why don't you look at them??" Oh! I am but biologically built to look at women and take an interest in them. Part of my being is from them if you want to know. But when I am in the company of people like you, or otherwise, I choose not to ogle or leer. I have met enough women in my life and am satisfied with their company. Guys, have you ever stopped to think that being from the other side of the gender does not stop them from being a human being. Give them their freedom. Yes, I don't say all of them are angels. There are times when there is an invitation even. As a matter of fact I have not many found many that are interesting enough to engage in conversation with. But it is just as with other guys, right?? Not every guy that you come in contact with is good enough to make friends with, or make an acquaintance out of.

Guys, guys, guys!!! Give respect and find more company. Live and let live. These creatures form an essential part of your existence. Woo them gently, don't jump on them. And add to it, what John Nash says in the movie, A Beautiful Mind:

Nash: "If we all go for the blonde and block each other, not a single one of us is going to get her. So then we go for her friends, but they will all give us the cold shoulder because no on likes to be second choice. But what if none of us goes for the blonde? We won't get in each other's way and we won't insult the other girls. It's the only way to win. It's the only way we all get laid."

For me: Stop being a wimp, especially when you find an acquaintance engaging in such behavior where there is no invitation and/or categorical denial.